Skip to Content
Return to Videos

What do I do if Social Security denies my claim for Social Security disability benefits?

If Social Security denies your claim for Social Security disability benefits, you need to appeal the denial. The easiest way to do that is either go online or go down to Social Security and file a written appeal. You have 60 days to do this. If you don’t, then your jurisdictionally out of luck. It's best to go talk to an attorney as soon after you get a denial as possible. If you do decide to hire that attorney, it'll give them some extra time to prepare the case and to prepare the response to the denial, file the request for reconsideration and file the request for hearing.